Frequently Asked Questions

Legal Hotline FAQ

A blog of the most frequently asked questions to the Maryland REALTORS Legal Hotline.

Cindy Sellers
Cindy Sellers
Cindy Sellers's Blog

I am the broker of record for a small real estate firm and the only individual who is licensed with me is my wife.

Unfortunately, you and your wife may not engage in dual agency. There must be at least the broker and two licensees involved in every transaction involving the in-house sale when the company represents both the owner of the listed property as well as the prospective buyer of the property.


The law requires that there be a broker (or branch manager as designated by the broker) to act as the dual agent in the transaction. The broker or branch manager designated by the broker appoints two licensees in the company to act as Intra-Company agents. The Intra-Company agent representing the seller would represent the seller solely and exclusively while the Intra-Company agent representing the buyer would represent the buyer solely and exclusively. 

Comments are closed.